GatheringRO Community

WoE/PvP Damage Reduction Mechanics

Asuna

Question

Since the start of the normalization, most (if not all) offensive classes can basically 1-shot anybody. While this may be the standard scenario for servers following the official format, this makes WoE/PvP in our server a bit lackluster. Not to find fault on the current situation, but the WoE/PvP pre-normalization was exciting with its drawn-out fights, skills showcase, and thought-out class utilizations. Now, only offensive classes are being used and support/tank classes are losing its purpose even with the skill updates. While its too early to judge the current situation as we are still in the adjustment phase, if this persists, WoE/PVP oriented players may lose interest.

With this, I am suggesting that WoE/PvP damage mechanics will be changed. WoE currently has 50% damage reduction (or 40%? correct me if I'm wrong) and PvP has none. If the damage reduction will be increased (say 90% for WoE and 75% for PvP maps) instead of applying the HP/SP multipliers, there may not be a need for skills and items balancing due to said HP/SP customization, and it can bring back the former fun of gRO WoE/PvP.

This is just a suggestion from someone who AFKs all day and only plays during WoE/PvP. Hopefully it will be considered.

9 answers to this question

I've already peeked into the latest WoE battle logs due to the "feeder system" triggering with those hundreds of deaths per player. /swt3
(Which resulted in low Emperium Fragment rewards for some players)
Although no one seems to have figured reporting that yet. /dum

Both WoE and BG are featuring global modifiers, which are 80% for meele/ranged damage and 60% for skill damage.
So that's only a 20~40% damage reduction based on attack type.

If there's enough interest, we can try lowering these for sure.
Overall that could be a good solution if you want to have better survivability.

PvP maps would require a custom implementation.
But we could figure that out later.

Good suggestion, just keep in mind there is also the % damage reduction of PVP gear. If the current value corresponds to 40% skill damage reduction, going 90% immediately might be overkill. 

I think it would be better to start from a lower value (e.g., 70%), and work your way up to a sweet spot. I am not sure if this is just a matter of reloading a DB file, though.

In any case, there will be much more dying in WoE from now on, I think the fragments system will need to be adapted asap.

On a side note: Are pots enabled in WoE?

@Everade  I got a suggestion addition on Asuna's topic , maybe increase HP/SP Customization? since its already, around 70%-80% damage reduction on PVP/WOE maps. Even with applied customization I still see 1 shot. Since the HP cap is 1.1m, we barely reach this HP without tremendous amount of food but its really impossible even for RK/RG to reach it. Even with healing potions restrictions are lifted its still a bit off and ppl not really doing WOE so serious now. Increasing HP wont really hurt so pvp people can still have fun on WOE/BG. I think best way to attain not getting 1 shot is make HP/SP increase, for example RK/RG will have around 700k-800k or 900k-1.1m with all the HP modifier applied. then other classes can have 400k-500k or 700k-800k if they use all HP item modifiers. So we can bring back that some uniqueness that gRO offers. If we stick with the current HP/SP customization, more or less likely getting 1 shot even with superior reduction items. It wont hurt if we try. What do you think? /hmm

@LKshaye @Hangul

Unfortunately, HP/SP increases would heavily impact skill balancings just like before the update.
We've specifically outlined the heavy imbalance cause of HP/SP changes in both our "Going Forward" statement, as well as in the Major Update announcement.

You're currently dealing:
Short and Long Attack damage now deal 60% of their original damage. (100 PvE dmg = 60 WoE/BG dmg)
Weapon, Magic and Misc Skill attacks now deal 40% of their original damage. (100 PvE dmg = 40 WoE/BG dmg)

Not sure where you took that 70-80% reduction from?!
Our recent experimental changes were only an additional 20% reduction on top of the official reductions.

Also keep in mind that PvP Arenas are currently still dealing 100%.

4 hours ago, Everade said:

@LKshaye @Hangul

Unfortunately, HP/SP increases would heavily impact skill balancings just like before the update.
We've specifically outlined the heavy imbalance cause of HP/SP changes in both our "Going Forward" statement, as well as in the Major Update announcement.

You're currently dealing:
Short and Long Attack damage now deal 60% of their original damage. (100 PvE dmg = 60 WoE/BG dmg)
Weapon, Magic and Misc Skill attacks now deal 40% of their original damage. (100 PvE dmg = 40 WoE/BG dmg)

Not sure where you took that 70-80% reduction from?!
Our recent experimental changes were only an additional 20% reduction on top of the official reductions.

Also keep in mind that PvP Arenas are currently still dealing 100%.

Yea I figure out. my bad . i thought It was 70%. Thanks for correcting me Eve.