GatheringRO Community

Show item scripts on item database

Madeleine

Question

4 answers to this question

There are several problems when it comes to showing item scripts.
1.) Other servers can easily steal content
2.) Item scripts do not show dynamic script content, which can be missleading
3.) Item scripts do not show combo scripts, which can be missleading
4.) Item script functions do not reveal their content, which can be missleading
5.) Our website database isn't reflecting live-data, which can be missleading

Item descriptions are much more consistent than scripts, so we removed the scripts since we're now featuring descriptions.

But sure, we can show them again in case there still are several players interested into it.

On 1/18/2021 at 8:51 AM, Everade said:

1.) Other servers can easily steal content

At the very least, show official scripts?
But require Log-in for custom scripts?

Item descriptions are much more consistent than scripts, so we removed the scripts since we're now featuring descriptions.

How do we know that item descriptions and item scripts are matching?

Here is an example why Players should be able to view scripts:
This item was bought because description claims "Increase effectiveness using Potion Pitcher by 10%".
But the actual effect was "Increase restoration gained from white potion and white slim potion by 10%".

This is technically "False Advertising". In all countries, such practices is not allowed.  But this seems to be okay on GatheringRO?
You corrected the Item description, but did not do anything else.

But sure, we can show them again in case there still are several players interested into it.

+1 to this.

1 hour ago, D e M o N said:

At the very least, show official scripts?

It's not that easy to differentiate our custom content from official one, because we have many customizations for official items too.
But i'll think about a custom implementation.

How do we know that item descriptions and item scripts are matching?

When the effect doesn't reflect its description, just like in most games.
I would say that >95% of all reports we've ever recieved were always based on the actual effect not reflecting its description.

Experienced players might compare an item description with its script, after they noticed issues with the item.
So it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Item scripts aren't obvious for an average player eitherway, not even for experienced ones, and combo bonuses and script functions would still be missing and are possibly missleading.

This is technically "False Advertising". In all countries, such practices is not allowed.

I think you're going a little overboard with this one.
You're refering to an in-game shop that has absolute no relation to a real-money purchase.

Neither did anyone ever say that it's "ok". We admited a wrong item description and fixed it accordingly.
I think there's a very big difference between purposely advertising wrong information and an actual error.
Please note that we don't translate all items on our own. Instead, 99% of all item description translations are based on an open source project that we rely on.
These transaltions are mainly done by a single person, so there's basically no quality control.
But it's much more complicated than that. (not going into detail here)

I'm sorry if i missed helping you out personally.
Feel free to open a support ticket and i will happily assist you with an apporpriate gRO token compensation.

As i've said before, there are many issues when it comes to showing item scripts.
If you're really so keen to check on official item scripts, the emulator we're based on is open source:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rathena/rathena/master/db/re/item_db_equip.yml
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rathena/rathena/master/db/re/item_db_etc.yml
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rathena/rathena/master/db/re/item_db_usable.yml

18 hours ago, Everade said:

It's not that easy to differentiate our custom content from official one, because we have many customizations for official items too.
But i'll think about a custom implementation.

This is much appreciated. /thx

When the effect doesn't reflect its description, just like in most games.
I would say that >95% of all reports we've ever recieved were always based on the actual effect not reflecting its description.

Experienced players might compare an item description with its script, after they noticed issues with the item.
So it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Item scripts aren't obvious for an average player eitherway, not even for experienced ones, and combo bonuses and script functions would still be missing and are possibly missleading.

Some items effects are not immediately obvious.
A solution is to compare the questionable item with another item that is working properly and has the same script.
After comparing and testing items, you can determine if it works properly, needs clarification, or needs to be reported.
For players who do not understand item scripts, they will simply ignore it.
But for those who do understand it, they will find it to be a helpful.

You're refering to an in-game shop that has absolute no relation to a real-money purchase.

Neither did anyone ever say that it's "ok". We admited a wrong item description and fixed it accordingly.
I think there's a very big difference between purposely advertising wrong information and an actual error.
Please note that we don't translate all items on our own. Instead, 99% of all item description translations are based on an open source project that we rely on.
These transaltions are mainly done by a single person, so there's basically no quality control.
But it's much more complicated than that. (not going into detail here)

I'm sorry if i missed helping you out personally.
Feel free to open a support ticket and i will happily assist you with an apporpriate gRO token compensation.

You are correct, the items were bought in-game and no real currency was used.
However you are ignoring the fact that it was bought with in-game currency.
I understand there is a big difference between advertising wrong information and an actual error.
Regardless it is not real-money, you still have to spend time on the server to earn tokens (such as participating in Town Invasions).