GatheringRO Community

Exploring The Crystal Mine

Mirri

Exploring the Crystal Mine

As many may have noticed, Mithril plays a major role in creating legendary headgear. However, how do people get hold of Mithril in the first place? How does the whole mining mini-game work and what else is there to gain from it? In this guide it is attempted to answer these questions in an easy to understand format.

Requirements

Each time you wish to enter the crystal mine, you will need to be in possession of the following items:

7318.png?nocache=155688746610 Old Picks (100% from Pitman @ ein_dun01 or from the Vote Shop)
or
61640.png 1 Advanced Mining Pick which increases the amount of stones to mine! (from Token Shop  @ althea 145 276 )

5031.png?nocache=1177650707Mine Hat (can be created @ comodo 274 137)

671.png?nocache=14123791650,000 Zeny

When entering the mine for the first time you will additionally require:

2267.pngCigarette (3% from Orc Warrior @ gef_fild02)

7318.png?nocache=155688746630 Old Picks (instead of the usual 10)

Getting Started

The Crystal Mine can be accessed by using the Warp NPC, selecting Tourist Attractions and then Crystal Mine. However the easier way is to warp there using @warp einbech 129 256. Once you're 'in front' of the mine you will spot two NPCs, Torros and Holffar, who each have their individual roles.

image.png

In order to enter the mine you will need to speak to Torros. He will however only let you enter the mine if you are carrying the required items listed above. You will need to be wearing your Mine Hat as well as a Cigarette the first time you enter the mine. The Cigarette will be consumed unlike the Mine Hat. 30 Old Picks will also be consumed the first time. Following this you will only ever need 10 Old Picks and the usual 10,000 Zeny to enter the mine.

Please note you must always wear a Mine Hat to enter the mine. You can however take it off once you're inside the mine.

Inside the Mine

Inside the mine you will find two different types of monsters. Strange Crystals and Mine Guardians. While the Strange Crystals are exactly what you're looking for and are completely passive, Mine Guardians will attack.

The Strangle Crystals are rather simple to kill. They can be attacked like any other monster although you'll only deal 1 HP damage each time you attack. There are several methods to killing the crystals though the most popular one appears to be to cause the burning status as this will kill them instantly due to causing a fixed amount of damage.

The Mine Guardians, unlike Strange Crystals, are a little more tricky to deal with. Not only do they attack with high ASPD, but they will also use skills such as Earthquake and cause status problems such as Curse and Silence. Attempting to kill them is a waste of time as they don't drop anything particularly useful, therefore it is best to avoid them.

Being able to move around quickly is a good way to avoid guardians. Therefore using the Brazilian Flag Hat and Moonlight Flower Card combo proves to be useful. However if you're using a Ranger and riding a warg you may only need one of the two. It may be useful to nullify the effect of Earthquake using a Golden Thief Bug Card if you can afford one, or reducing the damage using cards such as Ghostring, Deviling and even Raydric. Other useful cards include Marduk in order to avoid Silence and Evil Snake Lord to not get cursed. However these may not be required if you are able to nullify the negative status effects with your status build. None of the above items are essential, however very useful!

Strange Crystals will drop several different items such as coloured Gemstones. However there are several items which are exclusively dropped by the crystals:

7232.png?nocache=410945101Silver Ore

7231.png?nocache=526363448Gold Ore

7233.png?nocache=1659920996Mithril Ore

7710.png?nocache=639355844Black Gemstone

This is where the NPC Holffar comes in. He is able to exchange your ores for more valuable items. Below you can see which items can be exchanged and the amounts required:

7229.png?nocache=1730545229 Silver Bullion - 15 Silver Ores

7228.png?nocache=1913617661Gold Bullion - 10 Gold Ores

7757.png?nocache=2137446660Mithril - 5 Mithril Ores

7806.png?nocache=363191622Black Anvil - 1 Black Gemstone

Which Job Classes to Use

Which job class is suitable to use for mining varies from person to person. As mentioned already a popular technique to quickly killing crystals is to cause the burning status. Several classes such as Rangers, Mechanics and Rune Knights are able to use skills that will cause burning and therefore all make good candidates. Obviously other classes may pose to be useful as well, however these are just a few of the ones commonly seen in the Crystal Mine. It is up to you to decide which class you can work best with in the mine.

Thank you for reading this guide! I hope this guide has proven to be informative for both new and older players. Please feel free to comment asking questions, suggesting more things that could be potentially useful, and leaving possible critical feedback.

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Earthquake

A 75% reduction from an already lethal skill is rather good, I barely notice any damage, add devi to it, and it's pretty much nullified.

Yes, Earthquake is neutral elemental for those who didn't know.

Yeah. I never looked at the calculation bit to it. I tend to wear both GR and Devi, sometimes only one of them. It depends. But yeah, I reccomend using both of them as well. Having a few berries with you is also kind of useful when you get attacked by those huge mobs of Mine Guardians and you get some kind of lag.

OMG.

An increase in the number of people mining=a decrease in the number of crystals available to those who DO mine.

You know, these crystals ARE KS-able, ********************************************************************************

I'm not saying that only the powerful should know, but some things should require a little more human input. Putting a certain trademark secret about mining the crystals was...sorta unnecessary.

I'm not saying that only the powerful should know, but some things should require a little more human input. Putting a certain trademark secret about mining the crystals was...sorta unnecessary.

May I add that mining has been a mini-game for quite a while now?

The guide contains no spoilers, what so ever. I think everyone has the right to know about this and not just those who are currently making a huge fortune out of Mithril farming. I think you're being a bit greedy about the crystals in fact. Quite lame in my opinion.

The drop rates are quite simple to understand although there are no definate figures.

definite is the correct spelling. Common mistake.

Other than that, it's a well managed guide and really informative.

P.S: If this guide doesn't tip off the mining virgins about the mithrils use, than the players with the common chatroom B/S > Mithril is really a sight which anyone would notice. Obvious, much. -_0

definite is the correct spelling. Common mistake.

Other than that, it's a well managed guide and really informative.

P.S: If this guide doesn't tip off the mining virgins about the mithrils use, than the players with the common chatroom B/S > Mithril is really a sight which anyone would notice. Obvious, much. -_0

If you're gonna go Grammar Nazi on her, there are far more than just 1 mistake, but other than that, I agree with you, only the bluntly ignorant wouldn't notice this mini-game nor the rewards. -.-

I think, you are all missing the point that the mini-game was made for use in MAJOR conjunction with the creation of those certain helms.

May I add that mining has been a mini-game for quite a while now?

The guide contains no spoilers, what so ever. I think everyone has the right to know about this and not just those who are currently making a huge fortune out of Mithril farming. I think you're being a bit greedy about the crystals in fact. Quite lame in my opinion.

I disagree with you on...well, pretty much everything. I haven't mined myself in near 3-4 weeks, because someone else had my Mine Helmet. So therefore, when I think I'm gonna go to mine in peace there are nearly 5-8 people on the map at once and thanks to this guide maybe even more. Yeah of course, anyone who takes the time to mine said Mithrils and refine them to purified status deserves to set the price. For example, in all of one week I found enough for only 10, so I'm gonna say thats pretty damn valuable to me. There is ONE MAJOR SPOILER listed in your guide, which involves warping away after attacking crystals. And think about it- with those damn guardians you sorta HAVE to warp away when they mob you.

This might also bring another possibility, a decrease/increase in the price of miths, unless there's a new map implemented that would with an increase in the mob amount.

Everyone hopes for the decrease of prices for any item. I myself have been hoping for a decrease in Neb price. Instead it's gone WAYYYY through the roof. These helms require a hefty amount of Mithrils in the first place-thats time spent away from doing other things, such as questing, etc. Mining is boring. FACT. If the price of Mithrils were to drop, MANNNY people would be running around with something they didn't have to work for. Look at this tree-

Gold hunters-without these people, the Item buyers would have no money with which to sell/buy items. These people took the time to hunt their small fortunes. They know what it's like to really work for something and therefore they know the value of whatever they've hunted.

^------------------------------------^

Item buyers-they have an insane amount of zeny because they do most of their business through trading MVP items and some of them MVP themselves. These are also people who will rather splurge to buy something cause they are impatient, hence they may jack up prices as a result.

With these two conflicting interests, how is anything supposed to be right in an economy which will all-of-a-sudden be flooded with an item that is used in something thats actually REALLY important. I'm undecided on the actual numbers of crystals themselves so to me thats an issue all on its own

And everyone can say "Oh well, you can get silver and gold bullion here too!" but in reality I think these were consolidation prizes for no mithril ores.

And I'll leave you with one final question-IF this mini-game was meant to be shared like this, why didn't it's creator make a guide for it...?

If you're gonna go Grammar Nazi on her, there are far more than just 1 mistake, but other than that, I agree with you, only the bluntly ignorant wouldn't notice this mini-game nor the rewards. -.-

*Puts down AK-47*

Forgive my bad eyeballs, maybe you could help point out some. I did a another round of checking and came up with :-

reccomended. Another card which may come in handy is Marduk so that you don't get affected my Silence.

Recommended

typo :- my = by

No offense Mirri, just trying to help.

I think, you are all missing the point that the mini-game was made for use in MAJOR conjunction with the creation of those certain helms.

I disagree with you on...well, pretty much everything. I haven't mined myself in near 3-4 weeks, because someone else had my Mine Helmet. So therefore, when I think I'm gonna go to mine in peace there are nearly 5-8 people on the map at once and thanks to this guide maybe even more. Yeah of course, anyone who takes the time to mine said Mithrils and refine them to purified status deserves to set the price. For example, in all of one week I found enough for only 10, so I'm gonna say thats pretty damn valuable to me. There is ONE MAJOR SPOILER listed in your guide, which involves warping away after attacking crystals. And think about it- with those damn guardians you sorta HAVE to warp away when they mob you.

Everyone hopes for the decrease of prices for any item. I myself have been hoping for a decrease in Neb price. Instead it's gone WAYYYY through the roof. These helms require a hefty amount of Mithrils in the first place-thats time spent away from doing other things, such as questing, etc. Mining is boring. FACT. If the price of Mithrils were to drop, MANNNY people would be running around with something they didn't have to work for. Look at this tree-

Gold hunters-without these people, the Item buyers would have no money with which to sell/buy items. These people took the time to hunt their small fortunes. They know what it's like to really work for something and therefore they know the value of whatever they've hunted.

^------------------------------------^

Item buyers-they have an insane amount of zeny because they do most of their business through trading MVP items and some of them MVP themselves. These are also people who will rather splurge to buy something cause they are impatient, hence they may jack up prices as a result.

With these two conflicting interests, how is anything supposed to be right in an economy which will all-of-a-sudden be flooded with an item that is used in something thats actually REALLY important. I'm undecided on the actual numbers of crystals themselves so to me thats an issue all on its own

And everyone can say "Oh well, you can get silver and gold bullion here too!" but in reality I think these were consolidation prizes for no mithril ores.

And I'll leave you with one final question-IF this mini-game was meant to be shared like this, why didn't it's creator make a guide for it...?

In your second paragraph, i agree on the increase of people in the mining section. Let's also consider the fact, if you want a mvp card, you have to join the horde of paladins waiting for the mvp spawn which means more people. There is a MVP-ing guide in the forum. If you want to hunt Lephrecaun Coins, you have to join the warping players hunting for ten pigs with treasure boxes, resulting in more people. There is also a Golden Pig Hunt Guide in the forums. In such conditions, no changes have been made such as randomizing the mvp time or increasing the golden pigs number.

So i am going to assume the same applies here. Competition is not avoidable forever. People will catch up and learn one way or another.

If your going to phrase about the economy chain, it's long been reality. I bet you noticed the trading of valhalla flowers and mithrils going on. It already happened. Not to mention, checking the selling/buying topics has mithril and valhalla flowers written all over it. This guide is merely going to decrease the price and increase the competition and that is if anyone actually pays attention to the existence of such a guide.

You cant make a mine helm in a day either, it requires time and still has influence on zeny. The necessary equips for this particular quest also involves items which will be bought/sold by zeny.

And for your last question

Rawr~

Mining Quest

Server Feature

It's not a guide but it shows the existence of such a quest and it does not bare any signs of linking with anything. If this guide is a threat, than so is this link. It was meant to be noticed for the knowledge of players. Hell, it's a mini game to enjoy and get rewards, if this quest was linked with something important. Don't blame the guide. Blame the creator of this particular idea. Plus 90% of the guide in this forum is player-made. So it's safe to assume it was meant to be shared for players by players.

You know what i find rather funny, from all the posts in this topic, only does your posts determine and indicate that this guide is linked with something godly and valuable.

Sooner or later, a quest looses its fun factor when the quest is only done for the sake of gaining something in return rather than sitting back and enjoying it. That is also a fact.

Well duh, wouldn't you go around asking people if you were a complete newb here "What are mithrils for?"

My last question was in regards to Holly. THINK--------------->it is 45% of those quests<---------------------AND THERES NO OTHER REASON FOR EM.

Bah, whatever it seems that my point has fallen on deaf ears of those who wish for a more "easier" solution (can't deny it, if you want prices to drop that means you're buying crap).

Well duh, wouldn't you go around asking people if you were a complete newb here "What are mithrils for?"

My last question was in regards to Holly. THINK--------------->it is 45% of those quests<---------------------AND THERES NO OTHER REASON FOR EM.

Bah, whatever it seems that my point has fallen on deaf ears of those who wish for a more "easier" solution (can't deny it, if you want prices to drop that means you're buying crap).

There will be a reason for them if a few suggestion are taken in consideration.

Possible Outcome

Rest Is In The Hands Of The Higher Authority.

Did you know that, IMHO, people who read this probably would not have linked this guide with the helms in question.

At least, not until the majority of you freaked out about it and opened your face.

She, in no way, states that this quest is linked to other quests.

And if I'm wrong, kindly point it out.

Nice Guide

I don't understand why some people are freacked out by this guide...

the goal of this guide is to help people... Especially those new people

And i think..Most people who are reading this guide..Are not new to mining

and even without this guide...

People can easily learn how to mine...Guess what they will just ask their friends..xD

So There's nothing to spoill..

And besides people who are mining knows the purpose of mining..

It's not like this whole thing is a big and well kept secret~