GatheringRO Community

COMPLETE Helm of Darkness Guide

Blazin Shadow

Some of the other guides don't give you all the specific and exact requirement like locations of the different npc's you need to get the helm of darkness, and you end up running around hopelessly finding them, so here is the complete guide to get your mask.

Helm of Darkness

A forboding helmet that hides part of the face. People wearing this have the appearance of Beelzebub.

STR + 2

So, here are the total items you need to get the Helm of Darkness:

929.png5 Immortal Heart

950.png5 Heart of Mermaid

7097.png5 Burning Heart (NOT Flame Heart)

7561.png5 Ice Heart, or Glacial Heart, same thing

953.png5 Stone Heart

7189.png5 Wooden Heart

7340.png5 Will of the Darkness

7346.png5 Ymir's Heart Piece *Rare*

7566.png5 Will of the Red Darkness *Rare*

-----------------------------------------------------------

Detailed Step-by-step Instructions

Step 1)

Difficulty: Medium Easy

950.pngHeart of Mermaid

929.pngImmortal Heart

Both Immortal Heart and Heart of Mermaid can be bought in the Tool Dealer at the Mall if you have an alchemist. But if you don't, Obeaune drop Heart of Mermaid in iz_dun04. Verit drops Immortal Heart, moc_pryd05. However, it's easiest to just make an alchemist since you will be needing a LOT of Immortal Hearts for the Ymir's Heart Piece later. I suggest getting about 200 Immortal Heart. At the tool dealer, Heart of Mermaid 1,764 Zeny each, 1,340 with Discount. Immortal Heart costs 1,400 Zeny each , and 1,064 with discount.

------------------

Step 2)

Difficulty: Easy

7097.pngBurning Heart

The Burning Heart can be dropped by essentially everything in mag_dun01, so getting 5 is a piece of cake.

**TIP**

Use the @alootid function to get these items off monsters without wasting time to pick them up one by one. This goes for all the following items.

------------------

Step 3)

7561.png Glacial Heart

Glacial Heart is dropped by everything in ice_dun02.

------------------

Step 4)

953.png Stone Heart

Stone Heart is dropped by Golem in moc_fild05.

------------------

Step 5)

7189.png Wooden Heart

Wooden Heart is dropped by Wooden Golem in um_dun02.

-------------------

Step 6)

7340.pngWill of the Darkness

Will of the Darkness is dropped by Seeker and Hodremlin in ra_san03.

------------------

Step 7)

Difficulty: Hard

Now that the easy part of the quest is over, here comes the hard part.

If you are reasonably rich, the Will of Red Darkness is easy to buy at the Black Market where all the vendors are. Usually, you can buy them for 5 Million each, if there are any. Any more than that is a waste of money. However, if you don't have the money to buy it, you can either get the money to buy it, or you can find it on your own, in which in my opinion, is more rewarding in the end. So the Will of Red Darkness is dropped by the MVP Gloom Under Night. It is located at ra_san05, but only spawns once per 240-300 minutes. You can camp the Gloom if you like, and keep track of the time that it last spawned. Make sure you grab an elemental weapon, ghost more preferabley, seeing as it is immune to neutral-property attacks and it is weak against ghost (175%) . Once you kill it, make sure you grab Hurricane's Fury, which is a very good two-hand axe. The Gloom Under Night Card is very good, too. And yes, you do this 5 times.

7566.pngWill of the Red Darkness

A dark oval stone with seven red eyes that's believed to act as a sort of nucleus for some monsters.

------------------

Step 8)

Difficulty: Very Hard, depending on your luck (not luk, your luck as in get your rabbit foot and don't walk under ladders)

This is easily the most difficult part of the quest since you do not know exactly how many of everything you need. I'll explain.

So first, obtain these items:

1 Vesper Core 01

1 Vesper Core 02

15 Immortal Heart (which you should have lots of already if you followed the steps)

15 Solid Iron Piece

15 Worn-out magic scroll

15 Cogwheel

5 Fragment

The Vesper Cores are dropped by Vesper, which is a MVP. Killing one Vesper will get you Vesper Cores 01,02,03, and 04. It is actually pretty difficult to kill on your own because the Apocalypses' Jupiter Thunder, but make sure you use a Shadow (150%) or an Undead (125%) Weapon on it because it is Holy 2 property. Don't use an elemental on it, because it will only do 50% of the damage.

Solid Iron Piece is dropped by everything besides Aliza in kh_dun02. Make sure also to keep an eye out for the MVP, Kiel D-01, and Aliot Cards.

The Worn-out Magic Scroll is dropped by Babayaga in mosk_dun03. Don't bother with the other creatures because they don't drop it, and it's kind of hard to distinguish between them besides the fact that Babayaga swings some kind of spear around. Also, grab a long-range character because if there are a lot, it will prove to be extremely hard to move due to the Water Ball skill Babayaga use. Note: Worn-out Magic Scroll is different than Worn-out Scroll. Don't waste your time getting an item that is completely useless because you missed a word.

Cogwheel are dropped by Apocalypse in juperos_02. Fragment are also dropped by Venatu here, so kill those as well. Note: Keep in mind that Fragment is a different item than Metal Fragment. It looks like a computer chip.

Now that you have all the items listed above, Warp to niflheim 307, 72. Click the Spirit to activate the Helm of Darkness quest, which you or may not have done. It is required for you to activate the quest before proceeding to the next step.

screenGatheringRO001.jpg

Warp to einbroch 50, 45, now. Scroll over the wall to the left and you should see a dialogue bubble. Click it and you should be able to enter. (Courtesy of Argatlahm, picture and quest addition)

Now in this room, you should see Sigurd, the Head Engineer. Talk to him once and he'll tell you about the Ymir's Heart Piece and the list of items you need for him to make it. He'll tell you that he MIGHT be able to make you a spare. Talk to him after he's done ranting and he'll try to make one for you.

screenGatheringRO000.jpg

You have a 50% chance of failing, so keep your fingers crossed. If you successfully get your first one, pat yourself on the back, you're 1/5 of the way there! So follow the steps to get Ymir's Heart Piece until you finally get a grand total of 5 Ymir's Heart Pieces. Don't try to get around it. You won't be able to find Ymir's Heart Piece anywhere else. An easy way to get the Ymir's Heart Piece is to buy Vesper Cores from other people. A good price is about 3 mil each. If you have friends, people are often willing to get rid of them, so keep that in mind. It took me 16 of each Vesper Core to finally get 5 Ymir's Heart Piece, but that's just me.

Ymir

Ymir's Heart Piece

One of the pieces of Ymir's Heart, which have been used to power the Airships and Guardians.

It glows with a strange and unearthly light.

------------------

Step 9)

Final Step in obtaining the Helm of Darkness

Now you should have all the items required to get your Helm of Darkness. This is the easiest, last, and most rewarding step.

Warp to niflheim 307 72

screenGatheringRO001.jpg

Talk to the Spirit, it will go on about darkness and being immortal for a while and tell you about the Helm. Talk to it again and it will make the Helm of Darkness for you!!

Congratulations, you now have the Helm of Darkness!

Helm of Darkness

A forboding helmet that hides part of the face. People wearing this have the appearance of Beelzebub.

STR + 2

-Guide by Wolf

Finally! A good guide I can understand!

Great guide with locations and detailed information as to who drops what (as well as tips on how to obtain.)

But of course I'm sure people are going to ask for "pictures" and what-not, but I don't mind reading.

2 Thumbs up!

Only problem is I'm not sure if I even want the helm since my chances of even SEEING those MVP's are 1 in a million.

Finally! A good guide I can understand!

Great guide with locations and detailed information as to who drops what (as well as tips on how to obtain.)

But of course I'm sure people are going to ask for "pictures" and what-not, but I don't mind reading.

2 Thumbs up!

Only problem is I'm not sure if I even want the helm since my chances of even SEEING those MVP's are 1 in a million.

Here's your pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest patch disables you to warp directly to the Einbroch Engineer. Do not freak out or get confused if the coordinates I provided do not work. Now, you need to do an additional quest to reach him each time you want to make Ymir's Heart Piece. I will edit the guide later.

actually you do not need to do that quest, as long as you activated the helm of darkness quest, there is a ventillation shaft at the left side of the building to get in

^_^

Oh. You have to activate the quest, so you don't need to do that whole grandpa beard thingy dingy? I tried to go in there after I got the Helm and it wouldn't let me, so I assumed you needed the beard and glasses.

the guide is nice with only one flaw.. the most hated thing i've ever encountered since i started doing quests again.. the ein_in01 warp is disabled! nuuuuu!!!!!! /omg

the lab is in the southwest area right? though the guards wont let me in and i cant seem to find the ventilation shaft.. :(

i need an answer on how to get in the vent. shaft or how and where to do the other quest to get in the lab

thx thx thx ^^

the guide is nice with only one flaw.. the most hated thing i've ever encountered since i started doing quests again.. the ein_in01 warp is disabled! nuuuuu!!!!!! /omg

the lab is in the southwest area right? though the guards wont let me in and i cant seem to find the ventilation shaft.. :(

i need an answer on how to get in the vent. shaft or how and where to do the other quest to get in the lab

thx thx thx ^^

I edited the guide so it includes the warp directly to the ventillation shaft, so you don't have to do anyyyy work to find it.

awtz i need to peel my eyes haha! thnks to both gm arga and blazin for the pic! i was thinking it was a portal or something hehehe!

hope i can get thru the vent :lol:

edit: yay! luckily I made 5 ymir hearts out of 8! craabbss i still dont have the will of red darkness =(

hunthunthunt :lol:

tnx again!!!

• 4 weeks later...
The guide might need to be fixed - Ra_san03 = Cant warp in.

yeah, the only problem is that im not exactly sure HOW to get in >< WOW. helm of darkness is getting harder and harder, as if it wasnt hard already. good thing I got it before this. If anybody knows how to get in, the help would be appreciated =]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

dude...hav u ever seen de prices in "their" market recently? i think u shuld change "An easy way to get the Ymir's Heart Piece is to buy Vesper Cores from other people. A good price is about 3 mil each." to "An easy way to get the Ymir's Heart Piece is to buy Vesper Cores from other people. A good price is about 70 mil each."

dude...hav u ever seen de prices in "their" market recently? i think u shuld change "An easy way to get the Ymir's Heart Piece is to buy Vesper Cores from other people. A good price is about 3 mil each." to "An easy way to get the Ymir's Heart Piece is to buy Vesper Cores from other people. A good price is about 70 mil each."

Maybe you should try looking at dates.

This guide was written in June, 2008.

In case you've forgotten, the Wipe

happened in August, of 2008.